Sunday 8 February 2015

"In the Beginning"
"I have a good mind
take into my head
to start off singing
begin reciting
reeling off a tale of kin
and singing a tale of kind.
The words unfreeze in my mouth
and the phrases are tumbling
upon my tongue they scramble
along my teeth they scatter.
Brother dear, little brother
fair one who grew up with me
Start off now singing with me 
begin reciting with me
since we have got together
since we have come from two ways!
We seldom get together
and meet each other
on these poor borders
the luckless lands of the North. 
Let's strike hand to hand
fingers into finger-gaps
that we may sing some good things
set some of the best things Roth
for those darling ones to hear
for those with a mind to know
among the youngsters rising
among the people growing-
those words we have got
tales we have kindled from....."
( The Kalevala- Elias Lönnrot)


No comments:

Post a Comment